- 1 Why The Need For A Game Controller?
- 1.1 6 Game Controllers For Different Gaming Platforms
- 184.108.40.206 1. Apple MFi Certified Bluetooth Game Controller
- 220.127.116.11 2. Amazon Fire TV Game Controller with Alexa
- 18.104.22.168 3. Razer Wildcat – eSports Customizable Premium Controller
- 22.214.171.124 4. Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510
- 126.96.36.199 5. SteelSeries Stratus XL, Bluetooth Wireless Gaming Controller
- 188.8.131.52 6. Steam Controller
- 1.1.1 Conclusion
- 1.1 6 Game Controllers For Different Gaming Platforms
Why The Need For A Game Controller?
Since the invention of video games has there been a need for a medium (gaming controller) for players to interact and direct their desired actions as an object or character on the screen during gameplay.
What is a game controller? Generally, a handheld device that is connected either by wire or wirelessly that translates your hand and finger movements using a variety of input devices.
Game controllers can either come wired to fit a USB plug, wireless using a USB transmitter or via Bluetooth. Each having their own advantages and disadvantages according to each user.
The commonly used types of game control devices include:
- Joystick. Originally popular with the release of the Atari 2600, before the era of the analog controller. It is an upright handheld stick that can be either tilted directionally. Presently, it’s most common use is for flight simulators.
- Gamepads. Not to be mixed up with game controllers themselves. They are in fact a type of game controller that come with a set of buttons and a joypad or d-pad, allowing for 4-way directional movement. Today’s gamepads are much more sophisticated, featuring multiple analog sticks and provide more options than fist generation gamepads like for the NES.
- Steering wheel. Also known as a racing wheel, giving gamers who prefer driving games a much more real life simulation during gameplay. The wheel usually comes with stick shifters which are moved forward or back to change gears and pedals to control the acceleration and braking.
- Mouse & Keyboards. Those who enjoy PC gaming, agree that the feel of a mouse and keyboard combination is better when playing games. Mechanical keyboards and gaming mice are what many choose to enhance gameplay. These allow preprogramming of custom settings and buttons to personal preferences.
So, choosing the best gaming controller will depend on the kind of media or gaming platform you use. For example, PC gamers have the freedom of choosing to use virtually any peripheral or game controller. As long your system will support the software and hardware requirements.
Of course the most popular and commonly used is the dual analog sticks. Many systems including Xbox, PlayStation, Wii, and recently Steam, Amazon Fire, and other cloud-based game streaming media. These also coming equipped with many customizable features included.
6 Game Controllers For Different Gaming Platforms
Below we have compiled a list of some of the best game controllers for each platform including Android game controllers, iPad and iPhone game controllers, PC game controllers. As well as Xbox, and PlayStation gaming controllers:
1. Apple MFi Certified Bluetooth Game Controller
Play all your favorite Apple games from the convenience of your phone. Take it anywhere with you and enjoy your game time on the go.
All the features you would expect in a quality gaming control pad like two analog sticks, D-pad, power button, pause button, X/Y/ A/ B buttons and L1/L2/R1/R2 shoulder triggers
Features of the BEBONCOOL PXN Apple approved game controller:
- Ergonomic Design that shapes and contours to your natural hand grip with smooth and button response.
- Compatibility: iPhone 6/6S, iPhone 6 Plus/6S Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPad Air, iPad mini 2 / 3, iPad4, iPad mini, and iPod touch 5. Supports operating systems of iOS 7 or above.
- Detachable Phone Clip: that will accommodate and attach to phones up to 3.0 inch wide.
- Dimensions: 2 x 1.6 x 1.6 inches
- Apple MFi Certified – This gaming controller has been directly Approved and Certified by Apple.
Those who have purchased and are using this controller are very happy with it. This Apple compatible controller has been rated 5.0 out of 5 stars.
To read more reviews or to buy it on Amazon, follow the link provided.
2. Amazon Fire TV Game Controller with Alexa
Affordable gaming has never been made so easy since the release of Apple Fire Streaming and Gaming Edition.
It’s easy to choose from over 1200 high-quality titles from Rockstar Games, EA, Disney, and more.
Place in your hands, Amazon’s version of a game controller that fits naturally in your hands with precise and responsive controls.
Also, comes with Alexa cloud-based voice service answering a number of commands.
Features of this Amazon game controller include:
- Designed for use with the all-new Fire TV Stick, previous generation Fire TV Stick and Amazon Fire.
- Ergonomically designed to naturally fit in your hands, allowing for more precise and responsive controls for hours of gaming comfortably.
- Doubles as a remote with Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. Use the joystick to effortlessly browse through your apps, music, and movies, and select with the push of a button.
- Stereo headphone jack – Watch movies, listen to music, and play your favorite games without any outside distractions.
- Voice search button – accepts voice commands and questions and instantly find games, movies, and music, weather, and other desired information by simply asking.
- Power source: 2 AA batteries (Up to 90 hours of gameplay without headphones)
The wireless connection has a long range compared to other controllers (approx 30 feet) and uses WiFi Direct instead of Bluetooth.It looks and feels similar to an Xbox controller due to its dimensions, layout, and weight.
The were over 350 positive reviews by many happy users of this controller for Amazon Fire. This gaming control pad has been rated 3.9 out of 5 stars.
Follow the link provided to read more customer reviews or to purchase on Amazon.
3. Razer Wildcat – eSports Customizable Premium Controller
Made for tournament play and developed with feedback from the world’s best eSports athletes.
Unlike regular Xbox controllers, the Wildcat comes packed with four additional programmable bumpers for customizability.
Features of the Razer Wild Gamepad include:
- Ergonomic features include optimized weight and palm grips that are approved by eSports professionals.
- Control panel buttons give you easy access to a variety of functions, from toggling between profiles, to adjusting as well as muting game and chat volume
- 4 Additional buttons: two extra bumpers at the shoulders and two removable triggers on the underside. Individually set to remap any of the other controls found on the controller.
- Reinforced wired connection providing you with zero downtime due to battery failure.
- High-quality materials: made with reinforced high carbon steel analog stick necks, removable aircraft grade aluminum triggers.
- System Requirements: Windows 10 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 8 / Windows 7.
Some recent users admitted that the Razer Wildcat is much more comfortable and responsive than the Xbox one elite controller. One raved about feature was that the hyper-responsive buttons are super quiet compared to the clicky standard Xbox controllers.
In regards to trigger stops, keep this mind. Some fps games will not register enough pressure for the right trigger to fire if you only enable the trigger stops. The solution is to enable the trigger stops, and then hair-trigger mode, and it should work perfectly.
This highly acclaimed Microsoft game controller has been rated 3.7 out of 5 stars for general customer satisfaction and quality.
You can read many more reviews or purchase on Amazon.
4. Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510
Enjoy all the same effects that come with industry standard gaming controllers like PlayStation or Xbox. Also, features vibration feedback, broad game support, customizable controls and a familiar layout.
The best way to describe the Logitech F510 is that it gives you ultimate flexibility. You can easily switch from DirectInput mode (older games) to the XInput mode (newer games) and reverse.
Immerse yourself in every hit, bang or explosion. This controller provides dual vibration feedback for a more realistic feel.
Features of the Logitech Rumble F510 include:
- Industry standard controller: features a D-pad, buttons, triggers, start, select, and, dual vibration motors which support vibration feedback.
- Simple plug-and-play USB connection: that is compatible with Windows XP, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
- Customizable with Profiler software allows you to program and assign your layout specific to each of your individual gaming circumstances. It offers 10 programmable buttons and 8-way programmable D-pad options.
- Broad game support: works with a large selection of popular new titles and old favorites. You can also program the 510 to emulate keyboard and mouse tasks.
- Dimensions: 6.8 x 2.9 x 8.1 inches or 17 x 7 x 20.5 centimeters.
See this Logitech F510 Video Review below:
This PC gaming controller has been rated 4.2 out of 5 stars for functionality and user satisfaction.
If you are looking to purchase or learn more details on Amazon, just follow the link.
5. SteelSeries Stratus XL, Bluetooth Wireless Gaming Controller
The perfect game controller for either using on your Android device or playing over 2000 games seamlessly on your Steam account. Combining two of the world’s most recognizable controllers and combined them into the ultimate controller.
The Stratus XL’s ergonomic design fits perfectly in your hands and wireless Bluetooth connection has the same quality responsive as the major console controllers.
Features of the SteelSeries Stratus XL include:
- Customization settings: Calibrate the actuation point of the triggers in SteelSeries Engine 3 for quicker shots, faster attacks, or easier acceleration.
- Compatibility: Windows 7 and up, as well as Samsung Gear VR, HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift. This multi-use controller is not recommended for use with gaming consoles like Xbox, PS4, or Nintendo Wii.
- LED lighting comes with 4 easy-to-read LEDs, that displays the status and connectivity of the controller.
- Bluetooth connection: allowing you to connect wirelessly to your computer or other media gaming devices.
- Ergonomic design fits comfortably in your hands for long hours of use.
- Power source: 2 AA batteries with an average 40-hour lifespan.
There have been many positive responses to this multipurpose game controller. It seems to work great with the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Gear VR. Connects to the S6 and works with many Oculus games.
Place yourself in the center of gaming action by means of its easy to use home buttons, clickable joysticks, and smooth, responsive shoulder buttons.
The SteelSeries Stratus XL has been rated 4.4 stars out of 5 by over 350 happy users.
Click on the following link to read more customer reviews or to order on Amazon.
6. Steam Controller
A PC gaming controller exclusive to playing on your Steam account. Connect this versatile gamepad to your PC and play your entire collection of Steam games usually reserved for play with a mouse and keyboard.
Experience your games in powerful new ways with this Steam controller that is focused on low-latency and high-precision input technologies , wireless performance.
Features of the Steam Controller:
- Exclusive to Steam: play your entire collection of Steam games on your TV or computer.
- Dual trackpads: allows for high-fidelity input required for precise PC gaming in the living room. Allowing for 1:1 absolute position input via virtual controls similar to a trackball.
- Dual-stage triggers: can be used as analog, digital, or both types of input at the same time by the ease of a digital click at the end of the trigger pull. By using a single same trigger, you can put your iron-sights while sweeping in, and firing with the reliable feel of a tactile switch.
- HD haptics: Rumbles of vibration feedback is clocked in microseconds. There’s precision tracking on every input, from the triggers to the trackpads. This controller unquestionably offers vital, high-bandwidth, tactile feedback about speed, boundaries, thresholds, textures, or actions.
- Ergonomic shape and layout: Input zones and buttons has been positioned based on the frequency of use, required precision, and general comfort.
- Fully-customizable control schemes. Find your favorite mappings in the Steam Community, or create and share your own. Program any button to any Xbox 360, keyboard, or mouse functions (including multiple, e.g. Alt+Tab)
- Easy install and configuration: Steam Link is not required to use the controller. All you need is to have Steam installed on your PC. Note that you must have the Steam software running to use it as a game controller with your PC.
- Wireless connection: Comes with a USB dongle, and an extension in case you want to place it closer to your screen.
- Touch Menus. Set either touch-pad to show up on-screen as an additional graphical overlay menu of actions that you can configure. Set your touch menus to select crew/weapons/drones, etc.
This controller is intended to be used with Steam otherwise, it can only be used as with basic mouse functions like Esc Tab Return, and Up Down Left Right on the stick and left.
There are a ton of very positive reviews on this gamepad for Steam. Many users raved over how customizable and versatile the configuration and use of two trackpads as input.
After being reviewed by over 1500 buyers, the Steam Controller has been 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Click the following link to read more reviews or purchase on Amazon now.
We have discussed what a game controller is and the many uses of this all important gaming peripheral. We now know the difference between a game controller and a gamepad.
Each gaming platform has its own unique style of the gamepad that is exclusive to their network and gaming titles.
We hope that by increasing your understanding of gaming controllers and by using the list provided, you are able to find the best game controller for your system and gaming needs.