- 1 Why The Need For A Monitor Stand?
- 1.1 Types Of Monitor Stands
- 1.1.1 Choosing The Best Monitor Stand
- 1.1.2 Monitor Risers
- 1.1.3 Free Standing Mounts
- 1.1.4 Single Arm Bracket Stands
- 1.1 Types Of Monitor Stands
Why The Need For A Monitor Stand?
Since the release of flat screen monitors, a need for monitor stands was necessary to take advantage of the slimmer and lighter design compared to the bulky original CRT screens.
Generally, when you purchase a new flat-screen T.V. or computer monitor, it will come with a standard base to place on a horizontal surface like a mantle or a table.
An adjustable monitor stand is a specialty item that replaces the need for a generic stand with something that will offer considerably more adjustment when it comes to height, angle, positioning etc.
This is to inevitably suit the needs and preferences of the individual using it. The right monitor stand can also really help to create a more ergonomically friendly gaming or workspace. Thus reducing symptoms of back and neck ache, eye strain etc.
The placement and functionality of many monitor mounts or stands make them very appealing to gamers and those who have a tendency to spend many hours at a desk. Each model has its unique features that move up and down, rotate, tilt, retract and swivel.
Whatever way you choose your screen layout, a desktop monitor stand can first of all – free up space. It can also allow you to multitask between gaming and watching videos, and working on a project.
Types Of Monitor Stands
- Monitor Riser. These are basically an elevated stand using up very little surface space. Essentially floating your screen. Freeing up the desk space underneath.
- Free standing monitor mounts do not require drilling or clamping. Stable and easy to move on the surface of a desk.
- Single bracket stands are built for just one screen with a single mount.
- Multiple-bracket stands are capable of supporting more than one but remain fairly stationary.
- Articulating mounts for single or multiple screen mounting. Provides unlimited positioning and is not fixed, but rather can be repositioned using a hinge or pivot.
- Monitor arm or arms (each supporting an individual screen) on hinges and joints for easy moment and adjustment, that can literally bend or swing right out of the way. Rather than being fixed to a limited a stationary position.
- Monitor bases will either be wall mounted (fastened to a wall), a grommet (hardware is inserted through a hole in the desk and secured underneath), or a clamp (hardware fastens to the desk edge by vice), or free standing on a balanced base.
Other Features Of Monitor Stands Include:
- Sliding brackets that are movable in order to get the perfect spacing between multiple monitors.
- Capacity: There are single monitor stands, dual monitor stands, triple monitor stands, quad monitors stands, hex monitors stands. There’s even one that holds up to 18 monitors at a time.
- Gas-spring height adjustment cylinders for a smooth and stable settings.
- Landscape and portrait adjustment. Some stands will rotate 360 degrees on the bracket in order to set them horizontally and vertically.
- Telescopic wings that extend wider to accommodate larger screens that are side by side.
- Integrated cable management system organizes and streamlines your wiring and cables.
- Built-in USB & Audio pass through making it easily accessible to your computer’s connections.
- VESA Mounting Interface Standard. It is important to check your monitor mount for VESA before purchasing.
It’s basically a manufacturer’s compliance to follow a universal standard that is implemented for an easy mounting system for all sizes of flat panel screens. Regardless of the make and model.
*HINT: Before purchasing, remember to check for other things like weight limits, the clamp size, whether you have to drill holes in your desk, and overall difficulty in installation.
Choosing The Best Monitor Stand
We will now review and discuss a few of the best stands for their purpose. Perhaps you are just looking for something to elevate your screen without requiring too much construction. We recommend considering a monitor riser.
For those that want something that will not take up room to support and can handle more than one monitor, multibracket stands with either a grommet or clamp base is a good choice.
Want more flexibility? You can also choose either an articulating arm or a retracting monitor arm for even greater freedom and comfort.
Another fantastic option is a monitor wall mount device, in which you attach it to the wall of your room. Completely eliminating the need for any attachment to your desk.
Keep in mind that it will require some construction and the correct way of fastening it to a wall.
Below is a list of 3 quality monitor risers, that are both space saving and visually appealing:
1. Satechi F1 Smart Monitor Stand
If you’re looking for the perfect mix of function, organization, and style, this computer riser has all that and a little more. It comes fully equipped with built-in USB, headphone and microphone ports.
Maximize your gaming and workspace while improving ventilation. Use the space below for extra storage of your tablet, charging station, smartphone, keyboard, or laptop.
Reduce neck and eye strain while increasing comfort by raising your monitor to the proper eye level. It’s slim, attractive and modern design will easily compliment any gaming room or office.
Although it shows an Apple computer in the picture, these monitor riser stands are compatible with Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/2003/2000/ME, Mac OS X (latest updates from Apple required).
Features Of This Riser Include:
- Modern design and stylish layout give it a great visual appeal to any room.
- Strong aluminum alloy legs with a rubber covering that easily supports devices like a computer monitor or laptop with even weight distribution up to 22lbs.
- Built-in 4 USB ports, headphone and microphone jacks for easy access to your computer’s connection. Charge you phone or tablet or use it for transfer data.
- 2 Preset heights that can be adjusted for maximum comfort.
This monitor shelf has been rated 4.4 out 5 stars for its practical value and price.
If you would like to see a few customer reviews or to find it under $50 on Amazon, follow the link provided.
2. Mount it! Computer Monitor Riser
Creates more room under the monitor in order to store your mouse, laptop, keyboard or other gaming peripherals.
It’s attractive neutral clear glass and reflective metal leg finish give it a very cutting-edge look and feel. 29 inches by 9-inch deep surface area provides plenty of room to support many screens.
Highlights of this product include:
- 4 – 1″ diameter aluminum legs for stability and a perfectly level surface.
- 3/8″ thick tempered glass shelf unlike many competitors who often use cheaper glass.
- Displays are elevated 2.75″ which encourages wellbeing and offers clearance space for storage of other hardware devices.
- Easy to assemble with only a few parts and simple to follow instructions.
This screen riser has been rated 4.9 stars out of 5. “Solid..sturdy..and useful” are the words that were most often used to described this product. It is also under $50.
3. Titan Monitor Stand
Easily adjusts from 2 to 12 inches providing the ultimate support more than one monitor without sacrificing storage space below.
Due to its many settings for height adjustment, you can tweak its height. Allowing you to find the most comfortable and ergonomic approach to viewing your screen.
As seen from the photo, it will easily hold two monitors while hardly taking up any desk space. Thus reducing clutter and allowing for a place for everything.
Features of the Jumbo Titan:
- Weight capacity: 40 pounds or 18 kilograms.
- XL base and height adjustment. Making this the roomiest of stands you will find on the market. A surface of 31.25″ x 11.75″ which comfortably supports two monitors.
- Ergonomically friendly allowing you to find the perfect height settings. Lowering risk of neck, back pain, and eye strain. Also great for taller people.
- Legs can independently adjust to uneven tables and other horizontal surfaces.
- Durable & Easy Assembly. Built with quality parts that are very straightforward when constructing.
After over 80 customer reviews of this stand, it was rated 4.5 stars out of 5 for quality and amazing utility.
Find out what others are saying by visiting Amazon here!
Free Standing Mounts
View the list of 3 free standing monitor mounts to consider.
1. VIVO Single LCD Monitor Desk Stand
Main features include:
- Fits wide range of screens from 13 to 27 inches
- Swivel & Tilt function. Tilts from +30 to -30. Swivels 360 degrees.
- Assemble in less than 5 minutes
- VESA Mount check for compatibility with your monitor (75 X 75 & 100 X 100 mounting holes)
- Integrated wire management system keeping cables out of the way.
- Landscape and Portrait function depending on your preference.
- Adjust Pole that sets your monitor height to the most comfortable position.
- Weight capacity: 33 pounds or 15 kilograms
This stand is well liked by the majority. After nearly 300 people voted, this free standing mount was rated 4.3 out of 5 stars as it seemed to deliver all that it claimed.
One tip if you’re thinking of buying. Make to keep in mind that it is a metal base, so you may want to place a rubber mat or something under it to keep from moving and possibly scratching.
Check to see if any are available on Amazon now and receive free shipping.
2. WALI Dual Monitor Mount
Its V-base is balanced to support the weight of 2 monitors up to 27 inches, weighing a maximum of 22 pounds or around 10 kilograms.
Occupies very little desk space while providing a fantastic range of adaptable positions that work well with a variety of displays.
Dual monitor mount features include:
- Dynamic and fluid design. Easily adjustable joints can be tightened independently, allowing you to work in a more comfortable, ergonomically correct position while working or playing.
- Solid Construction: The high-quality materials and engineering provide a modern and sleek look while offering stable support to your multi-monitor setup.
- Detachable VESA plates that screw into your monitor sliding back onto the frame of the stand level. These can be adjusted up and down by 0.8″ so your monitors will be perfectly aligned.
- Flexible setup. Both arms are able to extend and retract. The tilt function allows you to set your screen viewing angles. You can also rotate the screen from landscape-to-portrait setting.
- Easy to assemble. Sets up in just minutes. Simple to follow instructions. Easy layout of hardware kit and mount.
- Height adjust. Loosen, set and re-tighten to your personal height level to your screen, helping to reduce eye and neck strain.
- VESA standard: 75x75mm and 100x100mm mounting holes
- Weight capacity: 22 pounds or 10 kilograms
The majority of buyer were extremely satisfied with this dual monitor arm set up. The fact that it requires no drilling was a huge plus. Having the ability to align both monitors with precision was another bonus.
This monitor was reviewed by over 120 people and has been rated 4.4 out of 5 stars for its outstanding performance and quality.
Check for availability and free shipping by visiting Amazon.
3. EZM Free Standing Triple Monitor Mount
Why not have the option to run 3 screens simultaneously? This means you can be working on multiple tasks at once or experience a panoramic view while gaming. Fully immersing your gaming experience with the extra periphery and an expanded view.
Have the flexibility to adjust your monitor screens for optimum comfort and best viewing position. Helping you free up necessary desktop space to properly organize your gaming or work area.
Features & specifications of this triple monitor mount include:
- Triple mounting brackets support up to 3 x 28-inch screens side by side.
- Heavy-Weighted Metal Base for a balanced and stable to support and distribute the weight of individual screens.
- Rotating mounting heads offer a 360° rotation that accommodates landscape and portrait modes.
- Height adjustable poles that can be adjusted independently providing an opportunity for custom settings.
- Flexible mounting heads that can be tilted (Up/Down) 180°, swivel (Left/Right) 180°
- Dimensions: 33.2″ x 14.5″ x 5.9″ or 84cm x 37cm x 15cm
- VESA specifications: 75 ×75mm or 100 ×100 mm compatible.
- Stand Base is 12 inches wide and 14 inches deep.
There many satisfied buyers of this triple monitor stand. “Terrific..works great.. and amazing mount!”, are some of the comments made by those who have recently purchased.
Assembly is relatively straight forward. Note that height adjustments are limited to four positions due to being held in your desired position by screws in pre-drilled holes. The brackets may require a bit of tension adjustment to prevent sagging of the monitors.
After over 430 buyers reviewed this 3 monitor stand and rated it 4.4 out of 5 stars for its sturdy design and ease of use.
Still, have questions? Visit the Amazon FAQs page here.
Single Arm Bracket Stands
If you’re in the market for a quality single monitor arm that clamps to your desk, here are 3 great options:
1. Ergotech Freedom Arm (FDM-PC-S01)
Give yourself the freedom and versatility you deserve to move your screen freely around your workspace.
Stylish design looks great in any work or entertainment area. Adjust the height to your exact specifications.
Features of the Ergotech Monitor Arm include:
- Articulating arm includes desk clamp base + 8″ pole
- Compatible with PC & iMac monitors
- Fits monitor under 27 inches
- Monitor Weight Capacity: Min 8.4lbs/Max 17.8lbs
- Full extension range: 24 inches
- VESA Compatible: 75×75 & 100×100
- Tilts up 90 Degree, down 45 Degree
This particular monitor arm has been very well reported on. Many of the comments are positive. Most agree that assembly is quick and easy.Rigid build with fluid movement.
Hint: if you’re installing a heavier monitor you may want to consider tightening the spring in the arm before attaching to the monitor and mounting on the post.
This monitor arm was rated 4.7 out of 5 stars. Read more customer reviews here.
2. AmazonBasics Single Monitor Mounting Arm
The ability to suspend your LCD from an articulating monitor stand is the flexible solution for any workspace. Position your monitor to free up valuable desk space.
Guarantee yourself the most comfortable viewing of your flat screen monitor. This will help reduce shoulder, neck, and eye strain.
Comes with extension/retraction to display tilt and landscape or portrait mode, height adjustment, and mounting arm supports a wide range of motion.
Features of the AmazonBasics Monitor Arm include:
- Desk Mount easily attaches to the edge of a desk or table with its firm mounting clamp.
- Compatible with screens up to 32 inches.
- Flexibility Extends your monitor outwards, as much as 25 inches with a height adjustment of 13 inches.
- Display Tilt can either adjust to portrait or landscape mode.
- VESA mounting holes: 75 and 100mm
- Easy to set up and assemble. Everything is laid out in the box with a simple to follow instruction manual.
- Dimensions: 25.6″ L x 6.0″ W x 16.2″ H
- Weight: 7.8 pounds
- Saves Space and can be moved out of the way with a smooth push.
Most who have purchased this monitor arm absolutely loved it! It is considered a very high-quality alternative to the “name brand” ones considering that fact that it is a cheaper.
Feels a little stiff initially, but with a bit of use, everything works smoothly. Very sturdy and attractive. Several buyers have actually bought more than one.
This single monitor stand was rated 4.5 stars out of 5 stars by over 400 happy buyers.
Follow the link to read a few customer reviews or to view it on Amazon.
3. Mount-It! Height Adjustable Monitor Stand
The gas spring arm tension makes for effortless maneuverability and adjustment with the flick of a finger. Its heavy duty design is capable of solid and sturdy support of monitors up to 19 pounds.
The modular base design comes with a combination clamp that can convert from a C-clamp to a Grommet clamp.
Features of the Mount it MI-7C012 include:
Fits screens from 22 inch to 27 inches.
- Gas spring arm with a height adjustment of 13.5 inches, giving you plenty of room to find the right settings. It also offers an adjustable counterbalance to the weight of the monitor for ease of use.
- Sleek stylish look that is made with polished aluminum die-cast and solid steel for durability and visual appeal.
- Cable management system that is integrated to streamline and organize wires and cables.
- Tilt options include: 90 degrees up to 40 degrees down
- VESA Standard: 75 x 75 mm & 100 x 100 mm
- Dimensions: 16.8 x 15.9 x 5.5 inches
- Rotation: landscape and portrait mode.
- Compatible with many makes and models of LCD screens like Samsung, Acer, Viewsonic, LG, Dell, HP, Asus, AOC, eMachines and similar LED displays
Most people who have purchased this retractable monitor arm seemed to be quite pleased with its straightforward build instructions and its full range of motion.
Setup on average takes around 20 minutes. Although it is a bit heavy and may require 2 people to assemble. It takes some tinkering, but once you get the tension adjusted in each of the joints, they hold very steady and move smoothly.
A huge advantage to this mount is its amazing height adjustment of nearly 20 inches, which can be great for taller people or perhaps those who prefer to stand while at their desk.
A great value for the price, this stand has been rated 4.4 out of 5 stars by over 240 buyers.
Find out more of what others are saying or to purchase by clicking here.
>>STAY TUNED FOR MORE<<